Monday, October 17, 2005

being unemployed is kind of like vacation.






except without the whole "income" thing. today i took it easy (again) - had a horrid headache that woke me up at 3 am, and so i didn't sleep much. besides, my stomach is feeling a little achy. so, i did some job searchy-things in the morning (calls, emails) and then around 12pm I set off for Stinson Beach, one of my favorite places...

Everyone knows that Crane Beach is my favorite beach EVER. and in terms of sheer duneage, it wins hands down (i love dunes). but stinson beach is at the foot of a beautiful stretch of highland, right near Muir Woods - a national park with some redwoods. the air smells different on that stretch of marin county. it is sweet and spicy with cedar and the roads are so windy (meaning, they wind around, not that they have a lot of wind blowing) that i kept a tight hold on the steering wheel and gear shift. it reminds me a lot of the mediterranean coast - the windy sea roads of greece and the arid fragrant mountains of southern france.

the beach itself is also beautiful (although i'm not sure it measures up to the sweeping sandy slopes and whispery dune grass of crane's in ipswitch). believe it or not, it was in the high eighties and sunny here today (on OCTOBER 17TH!!), and so i had my suit on and almost went in the water. but instead waded a bit, and napped. and read anna karenina (i'm almost done. still.).

even though my stomach is achy, i tell you if they had had fried clams and beer, i would have bought 'em in an instant. i just love the beach. anyway, here are some pictures. tomorrow! a meeting with someone who is involved in the arts in sf. should be interesting. wish me luck and love to you all!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love "traveling" with you, Jess. Good luck tomorrow. I will be sending you positive thoughts and love.Dad and I are watching The Daly Show, and Dolly Parton is the guest- gotta go! xxoomom

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess! I'm just playing catch-up tonight and I'm loving your travel blog. It's so great to see so many different Smithies "west coast" style. I thought that Jess Heinzelman was in S. Africa? Tell her I said hello if you see her.

Keep up the positivity and I'm sure you'll find the right next move.

Cheers,
Meg

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home