Friday, October 21, 2005

birthday brother tim


today my brother tim called me at 8:30 in the morning. i was making breakfast. the conversation went like this (ps: it was his b-day):

tim: "hi my sistah."

me: "whatup, tim?"

tim: "jess" (pause) "mom got me the best present ever"

me: what was it?

tim: "CHARLIE THE COUGAR!"

"charlie the lonesome cougar" was a disney nature film from the 1960s chronicling the ups and downs of a cougar (named charlie) from cubhood to adulthood. various and sundry things happen to charlie - he meets a bear cub, he encounters an angry dog, he gets lost in a lumber mill and gets chased by lumberjacks (seriously). it's narrated by some crotchety guy who sounds like a prospector and says things like "looks like our friend charlie's in trouble" and "oh, poor charlie is a born loser" or "now, it's a well known fact that mountain lions and bears don't mix"

when we were kids, my brother loved this movie. loved it. we'd rent it from the library every week. i can't stand nature movies. especially animal nature movies. but i sat there on the phone this morning at 8:30 and listened while tim watched the movie at his place in brooklyn and narrated it to me. he almost sounded choked up. "ha, ha. oh, look out, charlie! oh, no!...i love this movie."

it was hilarious.

today, i also hung out in berkeley, had some meetings, and saw jesse at his track meet. go piedmont!
(pictures: a wonderful license plate for my friend MARAIS, a pic of jesse running his heart out, his mom tracy cheering her heart out for him, and some girl screaming at her boyfriend to "BRING IT HOME, BABY, BRING IT HOME!")




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice entry, Jess! Made me smile.

CTLC was directed by Winston Hilber, a longtime Disney employee who wrote the screenplay for Cinderella and later went on to produce the Aristocats.

Sort of a "Gentle Ben" meets "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom."

I remember watching this flick as a kid. The log rolling scene was particulary memorable.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home