Friday, October 28, 2005

ugh! get me out of the house!


yesterday, after the jobhuntingness of the morning (emails, calls, etc.), i needed to get myself outside. so, i grabbed my brand new "hikes in the san francisco bay area", by linda a. hamilton (not to be confused with linda hamilton, who i think was in the terminator), and hopped in the car.

i hiked at the huckleberry state park and wildlife preserve (see pics). it was beautiful. according to the brochure, this patch of forest is a relic of the ecosystem that used to exist all over the east bay but is now rare. it is extremely lush, thick and moist - nurtured by the foggy air coming in from the bay and sheltered from the scorching sun by the surrounding hills. the difference in temperature between forest floor and the drier, scrubby peaks, was about 10 degrees.






i was changing layers like a madwoman. but the vegetation was beautiful - twisty twining trees (looked like sweeping dancers) and tufty moss (looked like armhair). here are some pics to give you an idea of the terrain contrast....and me on my solitary hike.



today, i'm going to 'critical mass' in san francisco - the day when bikes take over the city. this is the 'halloween' edition. i think some folks are even dressing up. i might wear an orange hat. my friend adam rustled up a bike for me. should be a fun way to see the city (wish me luck!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like very beautiful and unusual terrain. My only question...Is it safe to hike alone? Just asking.xxoomom P>S> Linda Hamilton was the woman who fought The Terminator.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey GC (Godchild),

Beautiful hiking! However, I ditto your Mom's question...Just asking too!...My old computer here(windows 98) doesn't always show the right lightness in pictures so sometimes they are a little dark...so when I looked quickly at your hiking experience posters, I thought it read Missing Parent.. which I found a bit comical(thought it was a teenager needing money)..and I saw the 6 for height and thougth it was 6 feet, not 6 inches. And on a not so comical note, perhaps it was a child support poster looking for a "deadbeat" Dad.. how the mind works and all it really was..someone's beloved (assumed) pet parrot...happy hiking!
GM(Godmother)

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am anonymous???Hey that's not fair..how do I become non anonymous?

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home