Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ew, ew, EW!


Is it me, or are ALL dresses this season really, really ugly? I honestly can't find one that I like. They all have one or more of the following characteristics:
1) no waist - babydoll style. Which is cute on Shirley Temple but makes anyone with a chest look mildly pregnant.
2) strapless - another nightmare for those of us who have curves. i don't want to spend all night unattractively hiking up my dress.
3) hideous patterns - i personally love color. i try to incorporate color into my wardrobe. what i do NOT try to do is wear something that causes vertigo. some of these patterns are just awful.
4) no color/bad color - again. i love color. but it seems like everything is a)grey b) eggplant, or c) some other unattractive color like mustard or olive green
5) no PETITES! an ongoing problem. dresses always cut me off strangely, and i am forced to tailor them.
6) synthetic fabric or jersey - it's impossible to find a dress in a quality fabric that is cut to flatter. which makes finding really nice, classy dresses a rarity.
7) pencil skirt - for those of us who are curvy or bottom heavy, this is a nightmare. i can only rarely find clothing that fits both my hips and my waist. I would love to find a skirt or dress that accentuates my waist and hides my hips. isn't this just common sense? does ANYONE want their hips front and center? didn't think so.

Four years ago, i found so many pretty dresses I didn't know what to do. I SHOULD have stocked up. Because now no matter where i look, i can't find a dress i like enough to buy. wedding season is coming up and, like it or not, i am unprepared!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin S. said...

Have you checked JCrew? They have some really cute ones, though pricey of course. I'm a big fan of the shirt dresses this season, though they're not really wedding material. Also you should check out the blog fashionbinge.blogspot.com for some good inspiration (some ugly stuff too), as well as thesartorialist.blogspot.com.

I'm with ya on the baby doll dresses though--I do not wish to be asked if I'm preggers at any weddings I attend :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger meles said...

yah. i do like the j.crew dresses but they're a) expensive and b) pretty standard. I have a couple of their dresses and once you have a few styles, that's pretty much it. i'd love to find some dresses that are unique. where's the originality? maybe i just need to design myself. hm....

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home