Friday, May 05, 2006

Me = MacGyver

About 20 minutes after writing the below post, I did something a little silly. I LOCKED MYSELF OUT OF THE YOGA STUDIO.

this yoga studio is usually where i can be found on Monday nights from 5:30-9:30PST. I work the front desk in exchange for free unlimited yoga. I've been thinking that I was going to do this eventually - every Monday when I walk out back to throw the trash away, I think "one of these days, i'm going to lock myself out." well, on monday i finally did it.

i was locked out with no phone, no car keys, no phone numbers to call. And i was wearing the weird cloggy shoes someone left in the back room for those taking the trash out. so i walked down to my favorite restaurant and asked the cute bartender if i could use the phone.

no answer at the police. no answer at tracy's (used directory assistance). i started to panic. "well, i can walk home 3 miles in these weird shoes if i have to. if i have to, that's what i'll do"

i handed the phone back to the cute bartender but was too frazzled to ask him out.

walked to another restaurant, used their phone book. the ONLY person i could reach was greg, tracy's ex-husband and dad to cait and jesse.

"um..gregory baldridge?"
"yes?"
"um...hi! this is jessica mele."
[confused silence]
"um...i live in tracy's basement."
"oh, JESS! hi."
"um. i kind of locked myself out of the yoga studio i work at and you were the only person i could reach."

we strategized a plan that involved calling cait - no answer. calling tracy again - no answer. so we agreed to touch base in 10 minutes.

that was when i resolved to break in.

"ok. think of macgyver. if he needed to break into this building, what would he need? what would macgyver need? what would macgyver need?"

i won't tell you what it was, but i found it and i did it, and i got myself home that night.

i am officially a cat burglar.

AND i went back to that restaurant to ask out that cute bartender. he was gone. so i had a glass of wine. what a weird night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin S. said...

you rock my dear--not only b/c of your macgayver skills but also because of your fearlessness in going back to the bartender. I locked myself out of the apartment yesterday and had to crawl in the relatively high up kitchen window, much to the amusement of the 10+ construction workers building the new condos next to our place.

10:36 AM  
Blogger molly blair said...

jess, what a story! i think you should head back to that bar another night and ask him out :) i am impressed.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home